Finding articles, books & background information on management topics; case studies & the case method of teaching; corporate social responsibility & business ethics; international business; strategy; writing & citing.
Last Updated: Jan 15, 2014
Welcome to the Management Research Guide!
This research guide is targeted at Brock University students who are conducting research for courses in management or for anyone who is interested in learning more about researching management-related topics. It includes print sources, e-books, and databases available in our Library, as well as some useful websites.
For more links, please see my bookmarks on delicious: http://delicious.com/brockbizlibrary.
The Management Research Guide contains the following pages:
- Articles: the best databases for finding newspaper, magazine, and journal articles on management topics.
- Books: tips on finding print and ebooks.
- Background Info: dictionaries, encyclopedias, and handbooks.
- Case Method: writing, teaching, and learning with cases.
- Consulting: guides and handbooks on management consulting.
- CSR and Ethics: key sources on corporate social responsibility, sustainabiltiy, business ethics, and greewashing.
- International Business: tips on going global and researching countries and regions outside of Canada.
- Strategy: tips, tools, and guides on strategic analysis and strategic planning.
- Writing: writing guides. Tips on writing annotated bibliographies.
- Citing Sources: Tips on APA, Chicago, and MLA Style. Learn about Academic Integrity and avoiding plagiarisim.
MBAB 5P21: Strategic Management
- Last Updated Mar 14, 2014
A brief guide to information sources that will help you prepare a strategic analysis of an organization including external factors and the competitive landscape.
442 views this year
Analysis Without Paralysis
Call Number: HD 38.7 B4555 2008 (9th floor)
Publication Date: 2008-06-08
This book begins by discussing the increasing need for effective analysis. It reviews 10 analysis tools: BCG growth/share matrix; competitor analysis/ financial ratio & statement analysis; five forces industry analysis; issue analysis; political risk analysis; scenario analysis; macroenvironmental (STEEP/PEST) analysis; SWOT analysis; and value chain analysis. Includes a discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of each tool and case studies of how they are used.
Understanding Michael Porter: the essential guide to competition and strategy
Call Number: HD 41 P6776 2012 (9th floor)
Publication Date: 2012
""Understanding Michael Porter" sets the record straight, providing the first concise, accessible summary of Porter's revolutionary thinking. Written with Porter's full cooperation by Joan Magretta, his former editor at Harvard Business Review, this new book delivers fresh, clear examples to illustrate and update Porter's ideas. Magretta uses her wide business experience to translate Porter's powerful insights into practice and to correct the most common misconceptions about them". (publisher's website)
Key business solutions: essential problem solving tools and techniques
Call Number: HD 30.29 W44 2011 (9th floor)
Publication Date: 2011-09-23
Describes the OBTAIN problem-solving process.
Reviews critical business tools and frameworks such as 4Ps of marketing, 5Cs of strategy, PESTEL, Porter's five forces, SWOT, and value chain analysis.